Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sephiroth (The Dark Samurai)


I like to dedicate this post to my favorite samurai-villain Sephiroth (from the Final Fantasy VII RPG). Armed with his long masamune and wearing a battle armor, Sephiroth is definitely one of the coolest samurai-like villains in any medium. I'm not much of a toy or model collector but this weekend i came across a Sephiroth figurine. It's the Kingdom Hearts version of Sephiroth with his single wing.


For those of you who don't know, the final boss in Final Fantasy VII was the one-winged Sephiroth (minus his legs). They basically transformed Sephiroth into some magical creature. I was so itching to fight the samurai-verison of Sephiroth... oh well. But the Kingdom Hearts version manages to keep Sephiroth's samurai-form intact and give him his magical wing. In other words, this should have been what Sephiroth looked like in FF7's final battle. Well anyway, here's the figure:



Here's another Sephiroth figure. It's from the Advent Children line. I really like this one since they keep Sephiroth's samurai-form fully intact.




Sephiroth is probably my favorite samurai villain. I haven't come across a more darker samurai. The only ones that come close are Hitokiri Battosai (from Rurouni Kenshin) and Demon Eyes Kyo (from Samurai Deeper Kyo). Actually he might even be my favorite RPG villain. He's definitely up there with Ghaleon (from Lunar series), Kefka (from Final Fantasy VI), Magus/Prophet (from Chrono Trigger) and Krelian (from Xenogears).



Here are the in-game images of Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII I found floating on the web.



Speaking of dark samurai's, I have been itching to watch a dark samurai series for a very long time. I usually prefer my shows serious, realistic and dark. And because I'm obsessed with samurai's, a dark samurai anime would equate to heaven for me. In all of my search, i've managed to come across two anime titles that belong to this category. The first one is Shigurui which I'll post a brief review when i'm done watching it. It's adapted from the manga and novel. All i can say is that it isn't exactly what I expected or was looking for. The second title is Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal which tells the story of Hitokiri Battosai and was also adapted from the manga. This OVA was amazing and right up my alley. Now my search continues for the next dark samurai series.

No comments:

Post a Comment